2010-04-29

Dreaming About Cottage Cheese, And Other Awkward News!

I feel like I neglect this blog because I write so much in my other blog about the kids. The kids are just more interesting. There's always something new going on with them! But lately I've sort of been neglecting that blog also.
So whats new with me?

I am now on a new medication, Wellbutrin. Only its not called that. My doctor prescribed me something that is actually supposed to help people quit smoking, but has the same ingredients as Wellbutrin. For some reason it is cheaper in the non-smoking package. The weird thing is, Wellbutrin is an antidepressant, and the doctor prescribed it for me as an ADHD medication. The doctor before her, at the same clinic, originally prescribed me Wellbutrin when I told her I had ADHD, but she said it was for anxiety. And then the doctor I had next (before the one I have now) was just sort of not paying attention, and he said the Wellbutrin was to "energize" me.
I go to the Mental Health Clinic which is for poor people who can't afford their meds. And some of the doctors just act like you're a name on a piece of paper. They don't even look at you when they talk to you. That was how my first two doctors (the one I had to see for intake, and then the next guy) were. They wouldn't even remember me from one day to the next. They would literally say, "Have I seen you before? Are you my patient?" Ugh.
But right now I have a really good doctor, and a really good clinician, so things are going well.
Has anyone else taken Wellbutrin for ADHD or Aspergers?

Another thing is that I went on the South Beach diet for two weeks. It was Diana's idea. She had done it before and lost a ton of weight, and she wanted to try it again. So her, Jimmy and I all went on it!
The first few days were crazy! I felt literally sick to my stomach, achy, like I had the flu, and drowsy! That is because I was addicted to sugar and carbs. The South Beach diet means you have to boycott all sugar and carbs. If you do it by the book, you shouldn't even eat fruit, and even some vegetables are against the rules because they're starchy! But we let ourselves have fruit and vegetables so that we wouldn't starve to death and die, or, like, kill the kids or something. One of the things that was on the GOOD list for the diet was cottage cheese. And I really like cottage cheese, so I was eating it at least once a day, a big bowl of it! (I know that grosses some of you out.) By the fifth or sixth day, I was having dreams about cottage cheese.
I am not joking. I dreamed about cottage cheese.
By the third or fourth day, I was still thinking that I wished I could have some Dr. Pepper and some SunChips and some cookies... but other than that, I felt awesome! I usually feel really tired during the day. But I felt wide awake, and somehow clearer! I had more energy.
Then the two weeks ended (actually I think we lasted ten days) and I went back to eating carbs and sugar, and right away I started feeling tired and listless again.
I know that alot of parents of kids with ADHD and Aspergers put their kids on special diets that affect their behavior. So I looked it up and found that high protein, low carb diets are helpful for people with ADHD or autism. There's an article about it here.
So I think I should go back on a low carb diet. But this time I would just have a little bit of Dr. Pepper and cookies and stuff, to keep from losing my mind.
The only problem is, we eat a ton of carbs and processed food in my house! So I would probably always have to make my meals separately from everyone else. That would be AWKWARD!
One solution I thought of was to follow a low carb diet for breakfast and lunch, while the kids are in school and only Hayden is eating with me. Then at least my brain would be clear for most of the day! At dinner maybe I would eat some carbs, but still try to avoid them.

Right now I am at my mom's house, which I like because I can see Trixie and Sammy-Joe, and I can use the computer as much as I want! Possibly all night! But last time I spent the weekend at my mom's, Lily, the puppy, would not go potty outside. She decided she can only pee for me and me alone. She gets kind of obsessed with me like that. I am hoping this time things will go better and she'll pee like a normal dog!

Do I have a way to end this post? No, I do not.

1 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Really interesting.

I do know about the use of Well for ADHD. It's been used this way since the beginning of the century, though off-label.

Interesting to hear about your attached pets and how you now like being at your Mum's house.

Grr! about doctors treating you like a number.

Post a Comment

Got anything to add?