2010-03-12

Angel's Answers!

Its Friday again, and in the schedule I made up off the top of my head, I decided I was going to use Fridays to answer questions about ADHD! Remember though, I'm not a doctor or anything, so any advice I give is based on my own opinions, experience and reserarch.

Q. Does having ADHD make you super creative?
A. Not automatically! But people with ADHD do tend to be pretty right-brained, which means their creative and emotional sides are more developed than their logical sides. Also, many people with ADHD can hyperfocus, which means they can concentrate really hard for a long amount of time. (I know a lot of people think ADHD means you can't concentrate, but it really means you can't control what you concentrate on! So when something is interesting to you, sometimes you have the opposite problem, where you cannot tear your mind away from it!) Having hyperfocus sometimes helps creative people to put a lot of time and effort into creative ideas that they are excited about!


Q. I dropped out of school in high school because I just couldn't do it anymore. Now I am 39, and I just got diagnosed with ADHD and Aspergers. I guess that explains all of the problems I had in school! Now, I am thinking about going to college. But would it really be worth it? Won't I have the same problems that I did when I was a kid?
A. I think it will be worth it, if it is what you want to do! I mean, I am doing it! I have both ADHD and Aspergers too, and for me the key to having a good school experience is to study for a career that you are really interested in. Don't force yourself to do something that is torture for you! If you take classes that fascinate you, you'll naturally pay more attention and remember more. You'll have to take some general ed classes too, but even those, you'll be able to pick and choose classes that are interesting to you. You can also get help from the disability office at your school, so you can get help with things like extended time on tests, preferential seating, the option of recording lectures, help with study skills, etc. So, the bottom line is, follow your dream!


Q. I have a roommate who is very messy and disorganized, and hates cleaning. Our house is always a mess, and I get tired of being the one who has to do anything! But I don't like to bring it up, because I know that, because of his ADHD, its not really his fault that he's messy.
A. Your roommate should still share the responsibility of keeping up the house! But you can help to make it a little easier for him. First of all, try to come up with an easy way of organizing your household. It may be really worth it for both of you to chip in some money for a personal organizer who specializes in ADHD!
Try to make cleaning up the house manageable. Avoid clutter like the plague! At a certain time each day, both of you should take just fifteen minutes to pick up around the house as fast as you can! Turn on some loud music if that helps! As for household chores, ask your roommate for input. He may find it easier to pick two or three chores he doesn't mind doing, and have those be his designated chores every day. Or he could mix it up a little by drawing two or three random chores from a jar each day and doing those, to add a touch of interesting-ness to the chore routine!
No matter what, talk to your roommate and try to be honest without being accusing. This is a learning experience for both of you!

Alright, thats the end of my answers for today! If you have questions, feel free to send them to me, and I'll answer them next Friday! Until then, I hope you'll check out my book, Why I Am The Way I Am, available at Lulu.com!

1 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Really enjoyed the clarification that it is an ability to choose what to concentrate on, rather than a generalised inability to concentrate.

I also liked the idea of a random chore jar.

MAAP and OASIS are now merged, I believe.

Post a Comment

Got anything to add?