2008-03-09

The Next Twenty Years!

I found this contest over at a blog called Scribbit. The contest involves writing a blog entry on the theme of "The Next Twenty Years." If you want to participate, you could win an Alaskan ulu, which apparently is a cutting tool used to skin beavers, slice through whale blubber, and perform other handy cutting jobs! WARNING: THE ULU IS NOT TO BE USED AS A MURDER WEAPON.
So, the next twenty years... this is something I think about a lot.
I am twenty-eight years old, and I'm often frustrated because where I am in life is not where I feel like a twenty-eight-year-old is supposed to be. On one hand, I have experienced way more than most people my age have. I spent a year in AmeriCorps working with abused children, I've traveled across the country on a Greyhound bus, I've been to Peace Festivals and Rainbow Gatherings and Reggae On The River, I've hitchhiked, I've swam in rivers and oceans and lakes across the country, I've volunteered for several years in a row at a summer camp for siblings in foster care, I've self-published a novel... And I've been through a lot of bad things too. I've been a homeless teenager and a homeless adult, I've been a victim of just about every type of abuse you can think of, I've been in handcuffs, I've been in a psych hospital, I've helped raise the children of people who were too busy smoking crack to be there for them, I've suffered with very severe depression and anxiety. So you could say that, for a twenty-eight-year-old, I've had a pretty full life. However, I haven't accomplished the thing I have wanted to do since I was a young kid, which is to live on my own and be a foster parent or adoptive parent.
When I was still a teenager, I was planning on becoming a foster or adoptive parent as soon as I was old enough. I was so independent back then, I was certain I would move out as soon as I turned eighteen, and that I'd be on my own from there on out. I was sure I would be able to support myself by writing tons of best-selling books. I researched online and found out that the youngest age possible for adopting and foster parenting was twenty-one, and I planned to do that the minute I was old enough! Who knew that, although I did move out as soon as I was eighteen, I would be living on the streets, would not be able to support myself very well, and would end up homeless on and off for several years, my only refuge to be crashing in the homes of friends and family members?
I decided to go back to school to become a special education teacher several years ago. It is taking me way longer than I thought it would, because I've encountered a whole bunch of road blocks, red tape, and other complications! But in two-and-a-half years, my schooling will be over. Thats not that long of a time, if you think about it. With my special ed teaching degree, I'll be able to finally accomplish all those dreams I had!
So, twenty years from now? In twenty years, I'll be forty-eight years old, which isn't that old at all, if you think about it. I'll be an accomplished special education teacher, or maybe even have started my own school for unique learners! I'll have children, and since I'll probably adopt older kids, the possibility exists that I could even be a grandmother at age forty-eight!
My plan for the next twenty years is to surround myself with the things I love... children and animals and family members. I don't want to be rich... I just want to have a home, a place to belong. Thats all I ask for. Who could ask for more?

2 comments:

Scribbit said...

Well I'd be interested in seeing you in 20 years to see how it's turned out--thanks for entering!

Jennifer F. said...

My plan for the next twenty years is to surround myself with the things I love... children and animals and family members. I don't want to be rich... I just want to have a home, a place to belong. Thats all I ask for. Who could ask for more?

What beautiful thoughts! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Got anything to add?