2007-12-31

New Year's Eve

While all the rest of you are out partying, I am at home writing on my blog! Why?
Because I had to work all day today, up until 8:00, and I have to be at work early tomorrow morning.
Diana invited me to a party, and I was going to go, but then when I started trying to imagine getting up tomorrow morning at her house, after a night of being out celebrating and probably staying up really late, and then trying to drag myself to work, I got all depressed. So I figured I'd be better off staying home with my cat, Sammy-Joe. That way I'll at least get enough sleep to be able to manage working all day on New Year's Day!
Today at work, the wing for people with Alzheimers and dementia finally opened up. They've started letting some people from the Nursing Home part of the building, who have been waiting for months to get into the new wing, move down there. One of the people who got to move down there today was Marion, my 100-year-old friend... the one who I often help at work because she gets so anxious.
Tonight I went over there for a while to visit her. It was about 6:30 and Marion was already getting ready for bed, but when I saw her she was sitting in the doorway of her new room, all distressed. She said she couldn't sleep alone. For more than a year now, she's had a roommate! On this new wing she gets her own room. Before, she had been all excited about that, but now she was getting all nervous.
I had to go upstairs and do some activities on the Nursing floor, but I told Marion I'd be back later on to visit her again and make sure she was okay. I thought, since this new floor has a very low staff-to-resident ratio, someone would help Marion, and she'd be okay!
I went upstairs and did my stuff, and then about an hour later I went down to check on Marion again.
Well, for starters, she was sitting in the wrong room! When I found her, she begged me to just come sit with her for a while so she could fall asleep.
So, as I so often used to do when Marion was on the Nursing floor, I went into her room with her and oversaw her as she got herself into bed. I covered her up and turned out her light. Then I sat on a chair in the corner, in the darkness, and waited silently for her to fall asleep. When I was sure she was asleep, I tiptoed out! It felt like I was putting a small child to bed!
I hope she's going to be okay there. I know for sure that she will have much better care, and better opportunities, on this new floor. I really hope she starts to enjoy it when she gets used to the routine! It is so much better than when she was upstairs, just sitting around in Nursing and waiting to die. But she doesn't really like changes, and she still has a lot of anxiety, and the new routine and new staff is going to be hard for her to get used to...
Oh well! I told her I'd visit her again tomorrow when I'm at work, and maybe she'll be doing better by then!
For now, I am going to work on my other blog a little more, and then curl up on the couch with my cat and some Dr. Pepper and snacks, for the duration of the night!
Happy New YEar!

2 comments:

~Melissa~ said...

Happy New Year Nicki!

The new change does sound hard on your friend. I hope that things smooth out for her, she's lucky to have you looking out for her.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Happy New Year! I stayed home too! I was never a big partier anyhow!

Post a Comment

Got anything to add?