2007-12-22

Am I even a human being at all???

So yesterday was my work Christmas party. Unfortunately, although the party started at 6:30, I had to work until 7:30. I brought a change of clothes to work, changed in the staff bathroom, and hurried to the banquet hall where the party was going to be.
(I got a whole new outfit for this event... because my mom had told me that none of the clothes I already owned were nice enough for this particular banquet hall! I wish I had a picture of me in my new outfit. I'll probably wear it again for Christmas though! It was hella cool!)
I got to the banquet hall just before 8. Unfortunately, by then, the valet parkers had already left for the night, and the parking lot was wedged full! I had to find a spot down the street, and then trudge through the snow in my shiny new shoes, to get there. And then, when I found the table with all the co-workers from my department, of course there was no room for me! My boss quickly stole a chair from a neighboring table for me, and I ended up wedged between her and her husband, causing people to joke that I looked like their new daughter!
Of course that brought a round of jokes about, "Guess how old Nicki is?" because people never fail to be amused by the fact that I look so young. And I guess I just have a child-like aura about me, too!
Okay. So mostly the party was fun but more like eating dinner with all my coworkers at a large crowded table than like an actual "party."
I thought there would be Christmas gifts for everyone... because my work is kind of a swanky place, the kind of place that would give out employee gifts. But what they had done was had a raffle instead. So instead of every single person getting one gift, about five people got really nice gifts, like a digital video camera, a GPS system, and a flat-screen TV.
Unfortunately for me, since I had gotten there late, I didn't even get to be in the raffle! :(
Then there was a lot of dancing. I didn't dance. I don't know how to dance. I always have fun watching people dance, but I literally don't know how to dance. I mean, people usually learn that stuff when they're in middle school or high school, right, by going to parties and stuff? But I didn't have friends in middle school or high school. I didn't go to parties. So I never learned to dance. And I am so physically awkward that it is hard for me to fake it. Sometimes I wonder why I go to these things, because they always leave me wondering if I am even human. They leave me thinking, "I want to be able to dance and have fun at parties!" But I don't know how. I just don't know how to interact with people in that way.
I stayed till the very end though. Just about everyone else had gone home, except for a group of Hispanic co-workers. Karina, who is probably my best "work friend", is practically a professional dancer. She takes all sorts of dancing classes and performs and everything. Her sister also dances, as well as her friend who came with them... and her dad also works where we work, so he was there with Karina's mom, and they were dancing too... and at the end when just the Hispanic people and me were there, it turned into some sort of "fiesta" and they put on Spanish music and did Spanish dancing. They were trying to get me to come dance too, but I stayed firmly glued to my chair. Afterwards they asked me why I didn't come dance, and I said I didn't know how, and they said, "We could have taught you!" But how could I explain to them that I probably couldn't learn? I am just not physically in my body enough.
Does that make sense?

In other news, I got a package full of Christmas presents from my younger brother today. I mean, the presents were for everyone in my house and also for my little cousins. Mine was this:


It looks really cool... I can't wait to read through it. (I know you don't usually "read" date books, but this one has a lot of other stuff too!)
OK let me go now. I've got a bunch of errands to run! Including mailing a Christmas present to my brother and his girlfriend! I've had their presents ready for weeks, but because I'm a gumball, it never occurred to me that I'd have to actually mail it sometime before Christmas!
Oh well...

1 comments:

Shannon **Gabi's Mom** said...

That stinks that they didn't put your name in for you since the reason you were late was because you were at WORK!!! That ain't right! I'm glad you had a good time though.

Post a Comment

Got anything to add?